Rule 14.2. Committee Chairmen; duties
The duties of each committee chairman, appointed pursuant to House Rule 6.2, shall be the following:
(1) To call all meetings of the committee, including those requested by the membership as provided in House Rule 14.15.
(2) To preside at all meetings of the committee.
(3) To call the meeting to order at the time and place designated by the meeting notice.
(4) To be responsible for maintaining a record of attendance at committee meetings.
(5) To cause a committee to proceed with its business, after ascertaining the presence of a quorum, in the proper order according to the agenda and to announce the business before the committee as it proceeds with such business.
(6) To preserve order and decorum and to speak on points of order, in which case he shall have preference over other members.
(7) To decide all points of order, subject to appeal to the committee.
(8) To explain or clarify any rule of procedure upon request.
(9) To state, or to direct the secretary to state, each motion as it is made.
(10) To recognize members.
(11) To state and put to a vote all questions requiring a vote after the order of the question on the same and to thereafter announce the vote.
(12) To establish subcommittees and to appoint the membership of all subcommittees.
(13) To sign all documents which require his signature.
(14) To arrange for the posting and filing of committee notices as otherwise provided in the Rules of Order of the House of Representatives, particularly as provided in this Chapter.
(15) To prepare or supervise the preparation of the agenda for each committee meeting as required by these rules.
(16) To supervise and be responsible for the preparation of committee reports, particularly as provided in House Rule 6.11 and to submit them to the House.
(17) To submit requests to the Speaker for interim studies or meetings as provided in House Rule 14.16.
(18) To have custody of and insure the security of all legislative instruments and other papers or documents referred or submitted to the committee.
(19) To transmit to the Clerk each legislative instrument or other document which the committee has: (a) reported, or (b) been discharged from considering, or (c) been ordered to report.
(20) To discharge all other duties required by rule or by law.
Mason's Manual: Sec. 611
HR 8, 1974; HR 4, 1978; HR 45, 1998, eff. May 20, 1998; HR 4, 2006 2nd Ex. Sess., eff. Dec. 13, 2006.