Skip Navigation Links
      RS 40:600.37     


§600.37.  Action to establish a receivership

A.  Action and determination of court. An action to establish a receivership that transfers possession and control of blighted housing property to a local governmental subdivision or a qualified rehabilitation entity may be brought by a local governmental subdivision in the court in the parish in which the blighted housing property is located.

B.  An action submitted to a court to establish a receivership shall include:

(1)  The documentation supporting the residential housing property being designated a blighted housing property.

(2)  An affidavit executed by the designated official stating that (a) the residential housing property was listed on the blighted housing property list, (b) the owner of the property has consented to placing the property in receivership, (c) notice was delivered to the secured parties in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter and was filed as required in the mortgage record of the local governmental subdivision, or that there are no secured parties, (d) a rehabilitation plan for the blighted housing property was offered to the secured parties for review, (e) the secured party did not submit an acceptable alternate plan to the public officer, (f) a statement has been received by an individual holding appropriate professional qualifications that there are sound reasons that the blighted housing property should be rehabilitated rather than demolished based upon the physical, aesthetic, or historical character of the residential housing property or the relationship of such residential housing property to other buildings and lands within its immediate vicinity, and (g) the governing authority of the local governmental subdivision approved the implementation of the rehabilitation plan pursuant to an approving resolution.

(3)  An affidavit from the owner consenting to placing the property in receivership and agreeing to the cost of the rehabilitation plan.

(4)  A certified copy of the approving resolution.

(5)  A copy of the rehabilitation plan.

(6)  A request that the court establish a receivership for the blighted housing property, appoint a receiver, and approve and authorize the receiver to implement the rehabilitation plan.

C.  Prior to establishing a receivership, the court shall consider any objections filed by secured parties and evaluate any alternate plans submitted by secured parties.  The court may approve a secured party's alternate plan that, in the judgment of the court, is realistic and likely to result in the expeditious rehabilitation of the property to minimum habitability standards and a return of the blighted housing property to commerce.  If the court approves the secured party's alternate plan, then the court shall appoint the public officer to act as monitor of the secured party's compliance.  If the secured party fails to carry out any step in the approved alternate plan, then the local governmental subdivision may apply to the court to complete the local governmental subdivision's rehabilitation plan.

D.(1)  If the court finds that the property is blighted property and that the secured party has failed to submit an acceptable alternate plan or to take any action to restore the blighted housing property to minimum habitability standards, then the court shall authorize the local governmental subdivision or a qualified rehabilitation entity designated by the local governmental subdivision to take possession, control, and use of the blighted housing property for the receivership term and to implement the rehabilitation plan.

(2)  The possession of the property by the local governmental subdivision or qualified rehabilitation entity shall continue in receivership for the receivership term established by the court.  In no event shall the receivership term exceed five years.

(3)  The costs to rehabilitate the property contained in the rehabilitation plan submitted for approval by the court shall be a lien against the property, which lien may be satisfied  through capital recovery payments or by the maintenance of the receivership for the receivership term unless the owner applies to the court as otherwise provided in this Chapter for reinstatement of possession and control of the property and meets the criteria for reinstatement, including satisfying any and all liens, imposed by the court.

E.  Other proceedings in court.  The local governmental subdivision or the qualified rehabilitation entity granted possession and control as receiver may commence and maintain any further proceedings in the court as may be necessary for the conservation, protection, rehabilitation, or disposition of the property or as may be necessary to recoup the cost and expenses of rehabilitation.

F.  Receiver subject to direction and control by court. Any receiver so appointed shall be under the direction and control of the court and shall have full power over the property and shall, upon appointment by the court, commence and maintain all actions for the conservation, protection, or disposal of the residential housing property as the court may deem proper.

G.  Technical advisory assistance to court.  The state housing agency shall serve as a technical advisor to a court and may review each alternate plan and rehabilitation plan submitted to the court and advise the court as to the feasibility or viability of such plans;  monitor on behalf of the court the implementation of the receivership over the receivership term; and advise the court as may be necessary and appropriate concerning revisions or adjustments to an alternate plan or a rehabilitation plan.

Acts 2006, No. 355, §1, eff. June 13, 2006.

If you experience any technical difficulties navigating this website, click here to contact the webmaster.
P.O. Box 94062 (900 North Third Street) Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70804-9062