Skip Navigation Links
      RS 37:1275.1     


§1275.1.  Canadian and Philippine doctors

A.  Under the authority granted by R.S. 37:1275, the board may issue a temporary permit authorizing the practice of medicine for a time not to exceed five years, to a person licensed to practice medicine in Canada and a citizen of Canada or licensed to practice medicine in the Republic of the Philippines and a citizen of the Republic of the Philippines, if that person has obtained a work visa from the United States government.  Thereafter, that person must obtain an immigration visa before his permit may be extended.

B.  Such persons who wish to practice medicine under this Section shall:

(1)  Be twenty-one years of age;

(2)  Be of good moral character;

(3)  Present to the board a valid diploma from a medical college in good standing with the board; and

(4)  Pass an examination which the board deems sufficient to test the applicant's fitness to practice medicine in this state.  The board may design or administer its own examination, or it may use examinations from any national examining agency, either public or private as long as such examinations are, in its view, sufficient for such purpose.

Added by Acts 1976, No. 370, §1; Acts 1985, No. 302, §2; Acts 2001, No. 17, §1, eff. May 17, 2001.

If you experience any technical difficulties navigating this website, click here to contact the webmaster.
P.O. Box 94062 (900 North Third Street) Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70804-9062