§571.7. Supervision upon release from parish prison after diminution of sentence for good behavior; conditions of release; revocation
A. When a prisoner who has been sentenced to a parish prison in Orleans Parish is released because of diminution of sentence pursuant to this Part, he shall be released as if released on parole.
B. A prisoner released in accordance with Subsection A herein shall be supervised by the sheriff, the keeper of the parish prison if not the sheriff, or, in Orleans Parish, the criminal sheriff of Orleans Parish. Such supervision shall be for the remainder of the original full term of the prisoner's sentence and shall be performed in the same manner and to the same extent as supervision of a prisoner committed to the Department of Public Safety and Corrections who is released on parole.
C. The supervisor may make rules for the conduct of a prisoner while he is on release and may also require, either at the time of release or at any time while on release, that the prisoner conform to any of the following conditions:
(1) Residence in a community rehabilitation center.
(2) Restitution to a victim of the crime for which release is being sought, if such victim has suffered a direct pecuniary loss as a result of the crime. The supervisor shall take into account the prisoner's ability to pay and shall not revoke release based upon this condition unless the prisoner has willfully failed to comply.
(3) Community service work, as determined by the supervisor.
(4) Payment into a victim compensation fund, if such fund is established, in a manner and amount specified by law.
(5) Obtaining gainful employment.
(6) Continuing education or vocational training.
(7) Participation in a substance abuse treatment facility program or other counselling program.
(8) Any other condition which may presently be applied under R.S. 15:574.4(H) and (L) to a prisoner committed to the Department of Public Safety and Corrections who is released on parole.
D. A prisoner released in accordance with this Section shall be subject to having the release revoked for violation of the release conditions. The supervisor shall establish rules and regulations governing the revocation of release.
E. Upon revocation of release, the prisoner shall be recommitted to the parish prison and shall serve the remaining full term of his sentence.
Added by Acts 1982, No. 574, §1. Acts 1989, No. 194, §2; Acts 1991, No. 289, §7; Acts 2011, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 18, §1.