§4562.3. Evangeline-Ville Platte Recreation District; creation; boundaries; objects and purposes; governing authority; powers
A. The governing authority of the parish of Evangeline, with the prior approval of the governing authority of the city of Ville Platte, is hereby authorized to create the Evangeline-Ville Platte Recreation District, with boundaries to include all territory contained within the city of Ville Platte, as those limits are now or may hereafter be fixed and determined, and such additional territory within the parish as may be determined by the parish governing authority.
B. The objects and purposes of the district shall be to own and operate recreational facilities of the district, the city of Ville Platte, and the parish which are located within the boundaries of the district whether preexisting or thereafter constructed and acquired by the district; and generally to administer programs and engage in activities which would promote recreation and any related activity designed to encourage recreation and promote the general health and well-being of citizens.
C. The district shall be governed by a board of commissioners, composed of nine members who shall be qualified voters and residents of the area contained in the district. The members of the board, who shall serve one-year terms, shall be appointed as follows:
(1) Three members shall be appointed by the governing authority of the parish in which the district is located.
(2) Three members shall be appointed by the board of aldermen of the most populous municipality located in the parish according to the latest federal decennial census, with the concurrence of the mayor of the municipality.
(3) Three members shall be appointed jointly by the members of the legislature who represent the representative or senatorial district or districts in which the district is located.
D. The district is declared to be a political subdivision of the state with all the rights and powers thereof to levy taxes, incur debt, and issue bonds, subject to the approval of the parish governing authority and approval by a majority of the electors of the district voting at an election called by the parish governing authority and held for such purposes. The district may exercise all powers granted by law to recreation districts created pursuant to R.S. 33:4562 et seq.
E. Members of the board of commissioners shall receive no compensation, but may be reimbursed reasonable expenses incurred in performing their duties for the benefit of the district. The governing authority for the parish may promulgate rules establishing the expenses that will be reimbursed. However, the secretary and treasurer of the board of commissioners may receive compensation for their services.
F. For the first thirty-six months of operation, all revenue generated by the assets of the district shall be dedicated to the operation and maintenance of, equipment for, and improvements to the district. Thereafter, revenue generated by the assets of the district may be allocated to the promotion or sponsorship of athletic and health-related activities in the district in addition to other matters provided by law.
G. The district, acting through its board of commissioners, shall specifically have the following authority and duties:
(1) To hire a director and such other personnel as may be necessary to carry out the directions and instructions of the board and perform such other acts as may be directed by the board.
(2) To develop and implement a utilization policy for the assets of the district that supports the use of the assets by the residents of the district and limits the times at which access to the assets are restricted for private or exclusive functions.
(3) To adopt and implement a schedule for fees, rental, or service charges for the use of district assets for private or exclusive functions.
(4) To adopt and implement a policy regarding all revenue generated by the assets of the district, including concession sales, the sale of space for signage, and the reservation of ball parks.
(5) To develop and deliver recreational programming and enrichment activities that encourage the use of the district's assets by residents of the district.
H. The board of commissioners of the district may create an advisory committee composed of the presidents, or their designees, of the various sports leagues formally organized and located within the district. The purpose of the advisory committee shall be to make recommendations to the board regarding recreational programming and enrichment activities in the district.
Acts 2001, No. 383, §1, eff. June 13, 2001; Acts 2005, No. 422, §1, eff. July 11, 2005; Acts 2012, No. 671, §1; Acts 2013, No. 124, §1, eff. June 5, 2013.