Skip Navigation Links
      CCP 2502     


Art. 2502.  Writ of distringas; contempt; damages

If a judgment orders the delivery of a thing and the sheriff cannot seize it because the defendant has concealed or removed it from the jurisdiction of the court, or when the judgment orders a defendant to do or refrain from doing an act other than the delivery of a thing, and he refuses or neglects to comply with the order, the party entitled to performance may obtain by contradictory motion the following remedies:

(1)  A writ to distrain the property of the defendant;

(2)  An order adjudging the disobedient party in contempt; or

(3)  A judgment for any damages he may have sustained.  He may likewise sue for damages in a separate action.

If you experience any technical difficulties navigating this website, click here to contact the webmaster.
P.O. Box 94062 (900 North Third Street) Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70804-9062