Skip Navigation Links
      CHC 1020     


Art. 1020.  Notice of right to counsel and effect of termination judgment; form

Notice shall be issued by the clerk and served, together with a copy of the petition, on every parent against whom a proceeding is instituted under this Title and shall state:


Louisiana law provides that you can permanently lose your rights as a parent.  A petition has been filed requesting the court to terminate your parental rights to your child.  A copy of the petition is attached to this notice.  A court hearing of your case has been scheduled for the _____ day of __________, _____ at the __________ division of __________ court in the parish of __________.  At this hearing, you will be asked to answer the petition by either admitting or denying the truth of the facts stated in the petition.  If you admit those facts, you may also consent to the termination of your parental rights at this hearing. If you deny any or all of those facts, you will be given a date to return for a trial. If you fail to appear, the court can terminate your rights despite your absence.  If the court at the trial finds that the facts set out in the petition are true and that termination of your rights will serve the best interests of your child, the court can enter a judgment ending your rights to your child.  If the judgment terminates your parental rights, you will no longer have any rights to visit or to have custody of your child, or make any decisions affecting your child.  Your child will be legally freed to be adopted by someone else.  This is a very serious matter.  You should contact a lawyer immediately so that you can be prepared for the court hearing. You have the right to hire a lawyer and to have him or her represent you.  If you cannot afford to hire a lawyer, you may call the telephone number on the attached form for information concerning free legal aid.  If free legal aid is not available, the court will appoint a lawyer at the scheduled hearing if the court finds that you are unable to pay some or all of the costs.  Whether or not you decide to hire an attorney, you have the right to attend the hearing of your case, to call witnesses on your behalf, and to question those witnesses brought against you.  If you have any questions concerning this notice, you may call the telephone number of the clerk's office which is __________."

Acts 1991, No. 235, §10, eff. Jan. 1, 1992; Acts 1993, No. 634, §1, eff. June 15, 1993; Acts 1997, No. 256, §1.

If you experience any technical difficulties navigating this website, click here to contact the webmaster.
P.O. Box 94062 (900 North Third Street) Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70804-9062