Skip Navigation Links
      CHC 672.1     


Art. 672.1. Reunification efforts determination

            A. At any time in a child in need of care proceeding when a child is in the custody of the department, the department may file a motion for a judicial determination that efforts to reunify the parent and child are not required.

            B. The department shall have the burden of demonstrating by clear and convincing evidence that reunification efforts are not required, considering the health, welfare, and safety of the child and the child's need for permanency.

            C. Efforts to reunify the parent and child are not required if a court of competent jurisdiction has determined that:

            (1) The parent has subjected the child to egregious conduct or conditions, including but not limited to any of the grounds for certification for adoption pursuant to Article 1015.

            (2) The parent has committed murder or manslaughter of another child of the parent or any other child or has aided or abetted, attempted, conspired, or solicited to commit such a murder or manslaughter.

            (3) The parent has committed a felony that results in serious bodily injury to the child or another child of the parent or any other child.

            (4) The parental rights of the parent to a sibling have been terminated involuntarily.

            D. If the court determines that reunification efforts are not required, it shall document that determination by written findings of fact. A permanency hearing, which considers in-state and out-of-state permanent placement options for the child, may be conducted immediately and shall be conducted within thirty days after the determination.

            Acts 1999, No. 449, §1, eff. July 1, 1999; Acts 2001, No. 567, §1; Acts 2007, No. 334, §1; Acts 2012, No. 730, §1; Acts 2022, No. 272, §1.

If you experience any technical difficulties navigating this website, click here to contact the webmaster.
P.O. Box 94062 (900 North Third Street) Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70804-9062