CCP 1262     

Art. 1262.  Same; secretary of state

If the officer making service certifies that he is unable, after diligent effort, to have service made as provided in Article 1261, then the service may be made personally on the secretary of state, or on a person in his office designated to receive service of process on corporations.  The secretary of state shall forward this citation to the corporation at its last known address.