CCP 2772     

Art. 2772.  Procedure to obtain deficiency judgment

A creditor may obtain a deficiency judgment against the debtor either by converting the executory proceeding into an ordinary proceeding as provided in Article 2644, or by a separate suit.  In either case, the defendant must be cited, and all of the delays and formalities required in ordinary proceedings must be observed.