CHC 621     

Art. 621. Taking child into custody without a court order

            A. A peace officer or probation officer of the court may take a child into custody without a court order if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the child's surroundings are such as to endanger the child's health, welfare, and safety and immediate removal appears to be necessary. The peace officer shall have the responsibility to promptly notify and release the child to the department.

            B. Employees of the department shall secure an instanter order before taking a child into custody.

            C. The department may release the child or secure an instanter order.

            D. The department shall promptly notify the parents or caretaker of the nature of the allegations and, if the child is not released, of the time and place of the continued custody hearing.

            Acts 1991, No. 235, §6, eff. Jan. 1, 1992; Acts 1993, No. 634, §1, eff. June 15, 1993; Acts 2006, No. 278, §1; Acts 2022, No. 272, §1.